Friday, February 20, 2009

More Puff-ness

I seriously think I have a new obsession.

It is...


Trying curry puffs from all walks of life.

Really. Recently, whenever I see someone selling attractive looking curry puffs (esp the chinese versions with lots of pastry layers), I'd go bonkers. My excuse was that I'd like to try different curry puffs to review in me blog. I doubt that was the real motive -_-"

This week, I came across two curry puffs. Yes, just two. Not that much I know but I have a gut feeling more is yet to come.


I bought this curry puff from a lady in Taman Desa when I was on hunt for curry puffs for Ken's farewell party. Her stall is located opposite the row of coffee shops there and opens on Saturdays and Sundays only.

Puff profile...
Place of purchase: Jalan Desa Bakti, Taman Desa,Old Klang Road

Price: Rm1.40

Version: Chinese version with egg, chicken and potatoes

Size: Huge (say about 3/4 the size of my hand)

The verdict: Has a tinge of sweetness. But it isn't as salty as a normal curry puff. In fact, it seemed as though she deliberately cut dwn on the salt for ALL her snacks sold. It is more catered for those wanting to eat healthy. No pastry layers.

Side note to all: Hunting for curry puffs on a Sunday afternoon is the hardest thing ever!! You hardly find people selling curry puffs at that time.. Maybe I was not hunting hard enough. Sigh..

Now we come to the second curry puff of the week, discovered in Broga on a Tuesday night during dinner at Jia Xiang Restaurant. OMG.. this is MY type of cuffy puff. -drools-




-Erm..the shape for some reason looks obscene. I couldn't get a better angle for a more appetizing appeal. Sorry-

-The filling-

Puff profile...
Place of purchase: Jia Xiang Restaurant, Broga. Actually, a guy would enter every restaurant there carrying a tray of those curry puffs to sell to the restaurant staff and their customers.

Price: Rm1.50

Version: Chinese version with egg, chicken and potatoes

Size: Medium sized(the length is approx. 1/2 the size of my hand but its pretty fat)

The verdict: Has pastry layers (OMG,OMG!!). Freshly baked. Generous fillings. The amount of fillings and the thin buttery pastry layers goes well together and does not give a 'jelak' feeling. As you bite into the puff, the flakes of pastry comes off which can be rather messy but fun to eat (especially if you like picking on the leftover flakes). If you are into 'Chinese' curry puffs, this is something to dig in.

So that's our curry puff reviews done! :)

Curry puffs aside, Kiki gave me (and our other friends) Ferrero Rocher chocolates and a small card as a belated Valentine's gift! It was meant to thank us all for the 3 years of friendship we had!! Awww! That was on a tuesday too before the start of our Business Ethics lecture. I was really touched. So, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Kiki for her thoughtfulness and for our friendship.



Thank you. Best friends forever! -big big hug-

2 comments:

kEeCoNk said...

BFF!! yay!! *hugs ria!!*

Christian Girl in Harrods said...

hahaha, kiki, what about your partner in crime?

Oh ria, the broga ikan bakar also sels nice curry puff! and section 17 sunday morning pasar.